Command Post of the Future Publications
All of the many Pebbles publications acknowledge the DARPA funding of this
research. Of particular relevance to the CPOF program are the following publications:
Main CMU CPoF reference:
- Brad Myers, Robert Malkin, Michael Bett, Alex Waibel, Ben Bostwick, Robert
C. Miller, Jie Yang, Matthias Denecke, Edgar Seemann, Jie Zhu, Choon Hong
Peck, Dave Kong, Jeffrey Nichols, Bill Scherlis. "Flexi-modal and
Multi-Machine User Interfaces", IEEE Fourth International Conference on
Multimodal Interfaces, Pittsburgh, PA. October 14-16, 2002. pp. 343-348.
- Brad A. Myers, Herb Stiel, and Robert Gargiulo. "Collaboration Using
Multiple PDAs Connected to a PC." Proceedings CSCW'98: ACM Conference
on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work, November 14-18, 1998, Seattle,
WA. pp. 285-294. Postscript
- Brad A. Myers. "Using Hand-Held Devices and PCs Together," Communications
of the ACM. Volume 44, Issue 11. November, 2001. pp. 34 - 41. Adobe
- Brad A. Myers, Rishi Bhatnagar, Jeffrey Nichols, Choon Hong Peck, Dave Kong,
Robert Miller, and A. Chris Long. "Interacting At a Distance: Measuring
the Performance of Laser Pointers and Other Devices." Proceedings
CHI'2002: Human Factors in Computing Systems. Minneapolis, Minnesota,
April 20-25, 2002. pp. 33-40. Adobe
- Brad A. Myers, Choon Hong Peck, Jeffrey Nichols, Dave Kong, and Robert Miller,
"Interacting At a Distance Using Semantic Snarfing," ACM UbiComp'2001,
Sept 30 - Oct 2, 2001, Atlanta, Georgia. pp. 305-314. Adobe
- Choon Hong Peck, "Useful Parameters for the Design of Laser Pointer
Interaction Techniques." ACM CHI'2001 Student Posters. Seattle,
WA. March 31-April 5, 2001. pp. 461-462. Adobe
- Brad A. Myers. "Using Multiple Devices Simultaneously for Display and
Control." IEEE Personal Communications special issue on "Networking
the Physical World." vol. 7, no. 5, Oct. 2000. pp. 62-65.
- Brad A. Myers, Robert C. Miller, Benjamin Bostwick, and Carl Evankovich,
"Extending the Windows Desktop Interface With Connected Handheld Computers,"
4th USENIX Windows Systems Symposium, August 3-4, 2000, Seattle,
WA. pp. 79-88. postscript
- Brad Myers, "The Pebbles Project: Using PCs and Hand-held Computers Together;
Demonstration Extended Abstract." Adjunct Proceedings CHI'2000: Human
Factors in Computing Systems. April 1-6, 2000. The Hague, The Netherlands.
- Karen Cross, Adrienne Warmack, and Brad Myers. "Lessons Learned: Using
Contextual Inquiry Analysis to Improve PDA Control of Presentations".
Submitted for Publication. postscript
- Brad A. Myers. "An Implementation Architecture to Support Single-Display
Groupware". Carnegie Mellon University School of Computer Science
Technical Report, no. CMU-CS-99-139 and Human Computer Interaction Institute
Technical Report CMU-HCII-99-101. May, 1999. Available in postscript
- Brad A. Myers, Jeff Nichols, Rob Miller. "User Interfaces that Span
Hand-Held and Fixed Devices" Workshop on Distributed and Disappearing
User Interfaces in Ubiquitous Computing at CHI'2001, Seattle, WA. Albrecht
Schmidt, Peter Ljundgstrand, and Anind Dey, editors. University of Karlsruhe
Faculty of Information Technical Report 2001-6. ISSN 1432-7864. html
- Brad A. Myers. "Collaboration Using Multiple PDAs Connected to a PC,"
Workshop on Shared Environments to Support Face-to-Face Collaboration
at CSCW'2000, Philadelphia, PA.
- Brad A. Myers, Yu Shan A. Chuang, Marsha Tjandra, Mon-chu Chen, and Chun-Kwok
Lee. "Floor Control in a Highly Collaborative Co-Located Task."
Submitted for Publication. pdf
Article about the Pebbles CPOF work:
- John Zyskowski, "Handhands in a new world order," Federal
Computer Week, March 18, 2002. html